Candle Magic Instructions
these are meant as a guide only, intention is key!
Candle magic is perhaps one of the oldest forms of sympathetic magic on the planet. Candles and sacred flames are used across cultures to celebrate holy days, rights of passage, and for wish making. All you really need is a desire and a candle. Here are some more specific suggestions for you DIY types.....
Intention: Be clear about what your candle is intended to manifest. Be brief and direct. One intention per candle. Remember – the use of your personal will can only manifest if it is in alignment with the world will. Sometimes an answer will come, and it will take longer or appear in another form than we had imagined. Rejection can be protection. Avoid limited thinking, but be specific and ask politely. Give thanks for what is and what will be. The universe is generous. I encourage you to add 'or better' as an addition to any specific request. Keep in mind the difference between a request and a demand. Careful making demands in magical work, you might get what you asked for! For more on this, see Part I of this post.
Candle Choice: The candle is a symbol of your goal or desire. It is a way of bringing the physical plane into alignment with your wishes. Any candle or color will work if the thought forms are strong. Here are some colors that are often associated with specific goals in magical work. Remember our commitment to the Earth, and avoid pollutant producing paraffin (petroleum) candles. Spend the extra time and money to use sustainable materials.
- White candle: Best all purpose. Neutral energy, purity, new beginnings. If you are not sure which color- white contains all colors. Goddess in her maiden aspect.
- Pink candle: Energy of love, especially self love and love in its most elevated form. Healing, kindness, nurturing, affection. Heart Chakra, romance, feminine energy.
- Red candle: Passion, vitality, potency, blood, and physical health. Root Chakra. Abundance. Fire. Goddess in her lover aspect.
- Green candle: Heart Chakra, Wood and Earth elements. The ascension to abundance - money, growth, expansion. Energy of the forest, plant magic and renewal.
- Blue candle: Peace, tranquility, protection. Throat Chakra. Energy of Water. Opens communication, calms emotions and helps gain control of overwhelming feelings.
- Black candle: Transformation. Letting go of what no longer serves. Cutting off ties. Welcoming a full ending before a new venture. Good for banishing negative energies or situations. Repels negativity. Goddess in her crone aspect.
- Purple candle: High vibration, spiritual journeys, psychic abilities. 3rd Eye or Crown chakra. Spiritual power or influence. Also general success, and household protection. Color of royalty.
- Yellow candle: Solar Plexus. Personal power, sun energy. Logic, learning, imagination, confidence, mental pursuits, and healing. Air or Earth element. Goddess in her mother aspect.
- Orange Candle: Energy of relationship, number 2, passion, Sacral Chakra. Success, luck, stamina, attraction. Calls for fast luck. A major change bringer.
Personalizing the candle: Before starting, smudge or wipe off your candle. Then, using a ritual or artistic tool with a sharp point, carve your candle with the words or symbols that represent your goal. Then carve in your full name, date of birth, and astrological symbol. Remember – send only good things! If someone asks you to make a candle for them, suggest they make their own until you are very safe and experienced in your practice. Never carve anyone else's name into a candle without their permission!
Once the candle is carved, you can anoint it with scented oils that support your wishes. Either roll the candle in selected herbs, or place those herbs on the altar. Rolling the oiled candle in (biodegradable) glitter will illuminate your words and images.
Before placing the candle into a container or dish, try pouring some honey or maple syrup into the bottom of the candle holder. Taste and relish the sweetness of your efforts. Try adding pennies, gemstones, or any other small (non flammable) object that represents your goal.
Some common herb and oil correspondences:
- Basil - protection, money, luck
- Cinnamon - passion, love, abundance
- Frankincense - clearing, purity, focus, spiritual focus
- Ginger - stamina, energy, love, prosperity
- Jasmine - love, lust, sensuality, riches
- Lavender - purity, health, protection
- Rose - love, healing, forgiveness
- Rosemary - vitality, focus, strength, clarity
Timing: Choose the most fortuitous moon phase and day
Days of the Week Correspondences:
- Sunday - Solar energy. For glory, success, honor & recognition
- Monday - MOONDAY. Lunar energy. For healing, opening doors, clarity. Feminine matters, dreams, intuition
- Tuesday - Ruled by Mars. For protection on physical and psychic levels, healing, motivation, strength, passion
- Wednesday - Ruled by Mercury. Intellectual matters, communication, writing, mental endeavors, luck, divination
- Thursday - Ruled by Jupiter. Wisdom, luck, prosperity, success, strength, legal situations, recognition
- Friday - Ruled by Venus. Love, romance, friendship, self esteem, healing, finances, arts, fertility
- Saturday - Ruled by Saturn. Karmic issues, grounding, banishing, stability, discipline, healing from loss
- New Moon: Good for starting new projects, releasing what no longer serves, fresh beginnings. Light after the new moon has passed for building energy (waxing), light slightly before the new moon for release (waning).
- Full Moon: Best for magnifying intention and harnessing power, the physical is more closely aligned with the emotional, mental, and etheric bodies. Light slightly before the full moon for building energy (waxing), and slightly after the full moon has passed for releasing (waning).
- Power Days: Solstices, Equinoxes, Cross Quarter days, birthdays, any day that is celebrated in your tradition
Lighting: Holding your candle, imagine your intention as fulfilled. Draw in deep breaths and see your life as though the wish were already granted. Cultivate any feelings of relief, joy, peace, release, etc. as you light the flame.
If you are not able to let your candle burn down in one sitting, it is considered best to carefully snuff it out with your fingers or a candle snuffer. Blowing out the candle may scatter the energy. Use caution and common sense!
Some candles, especially pillar candles, may take some time to burn all the way down. Keep your intention strong and cultivate patience. When the candle burns all the way down, give thanks and consider the spell complete.
Words: Candle magic can be strengthened with incantations. Think of this as a poem, rhyme, chant, mantra, etc. There is power in speaking your intention out loud. As you imagine your goal, say the incantation. If you need to extinguish your candle, say the words again as you re-light. Use an affirmation that is helpful and fun to say.
A good all purpose incantation that calls on the elements is:
“By the power of the earth, the air, the sun and the sea This divine fire flows through me As I will, so shall it be - OR EVEN BETTER”
Best of luck to you!